Re: Oracle - Free Training

From: VampireD <vampired_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 14:35:13 GMT

As for books, I can't stress enough how good O'Reilly is.

I have about 9 of their Oracle books.

perf tuning
waits/locks
pl/sql
pl/sql functions
design
security
essential dba
scripts

with three java books and an unix book, your looking at around $300 bookshelf on www.bookpool.com. I know, I just changed jobs and bought my oracle bookshelf i have home for work. I own about 15-20 O'Reilly books and find them very useful. That $300 is probably the best thing you can spend your money on if you want to be a GOOD dba.

In article <sto4ea74c53j17_at_corp.supernews.com>,   varghese <varghese_at_bhartient.com> wrote:

> Thank you very much, dear Arthur. That's news to me that I can appear
 OCP
> [...]
 would be
> able
> to attend class room training later.
>
> I need to to do something to come out of the financial worries. I
 opted
> for Oracle DBA. This was a dream. I was thinking about a change for
 the
> last four year and I would like to work in USA and computer is the
 best
> thing which can reach me to USA.
>
> Thank you once again for all your help. I am going to download Oracle
 8i
> Personal
> edition and start learning. Think big and you will difinitely earn
 big.

> -Varghese
>
> Arthur wrote:
> >

> > You can probably do it in 5 -6 months depending on your database
> > background and all - you need to sit for 5 exams and killing one off
> > per month (granted that you do NOT fail) it not a hard task but
> > free - well, that's hard. You can download 8i Personal edition from
> > oracle.com but as for the documents and all to learn - I doubt you
 can
> > find them for free plastered all over the net and even if you do
 find
> > them I will be weary of usingthem because:
> > Those training guide are copyright and if they aren't close down by
> > Oracle yet for breaching that, I will say they could be inaccurate.
> > VampireD is right, you can't just learn theory of it, you HAVE to
 get
> > down and get dirty with DBA.
> > I myself is now looking at some books I can get to learn Oracle (IDG
> > etc) cause I found out last nite that the set I have got are
> > incomplete. When/if I find a good set for a good price, I will be
> > more than willing to EMail you about the price and all if you like.
> >
> > Arthur
> >
> > On Wed, 04 Oct 2000 18:06:21 GMT, VampireD <vampired_at_my-deja.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >If you plan on becoming an Oracle DBA in 6 months, and you expect
 to be
> > >free, you will find you will have a hard time getting anywhere.
> > >
> > >Oracle is a complex system, it isn't something that you can just
 learn
> > >reading on the net. Specially if you don't have real world
 experience
> > >and databases you can work on and experiment.
> > >
> > >To be honest, if your attitude is to learn this using free
 websites and
> > >tutorials online, I doubt you will find yourself in a dba position.
> > >That approach is ok for becoming familar with oracle, especially
 as a
> > >programmer, but to become a dba, it is fairly different, specially
 with
> > >all that is involved in it. Not to mention wanting to do this in 6
> > >months. Paying $12,000 and going to the 5 Oracle courses is about

 within a
 6
 free
 or