Temp tables??

From: Rob Gravereaux <rgravereaux_at_mbcnet.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 15:04:45 -0400

Does PL/SQL have something similar to SQL Servers Temp table functionality?

I'm attempting to create a PL/SQL SP (Oracle 8.1.6) to create and return a cursor to the client (ado 2.1 SP2 w/Oracle provider). The records can't be retrieved with a simple SQL statement - The code needs to 'walk' up a self-referenced table and do some weird comparisons to find the correct rows. I believe I have 2 options (for PL/SQL anyway):

  1. Create a cursor with criteria for specific rows. This would then involve creating the cursor with some dynamic SQL ("Select * from table where key in(1, 5, 12, ...)") but AFAIK cursors cannot be created with dynamic SQL - it's compiled with replacement params only.
  2. When found, write records to a temp table, then do a select on the temp table. But I don't think Oracle has a temp table concept - like SQL Servers #temptable stuff.

I'm stuck. Any Ideas??

Rob Gravereaux
Web Developer
Medical Broadcasting Company