Re: NT + Oracle = timebomb?

From: Dino Hsu <dino1_at_ms1.hinet.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 16:14:56 +0800

Dear Patrick,

People's lucks may differ. Actually I do learn some lessons in the past few months, the important issues here, if you are using Oracle 8.0.5 EE on Windows NT 4 SP3, are:
1.Make sure you change the value in the registry of \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORA_SHUTDOWN to "TRUE" (default is "FALSE"). If you don't change it, when you stop the database services or shutdown the server, the default behaviour of Oracle is "SHUTDOWN ABORT", it can lead to data loss.
2.Make sure you upgrade to the patch 8.0.5.2.6. If you don't upgrade it, it will lead to datafile crash when the datafile grows up to 4G in size. Of course, this patch fixes many other things. 3.Earlier we heard that Oracle 8.0.5 doesn't certify Windows NT4 SP4, it can lead to listener failure from time to time. However, Oracle support people don't recently emphasize this point any more, maybe it has been fixed.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Dino