Re: using SPOOL in sqlplus

From: Shana Chen <schen_at_cnri.reston.va.us>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 18:09:22 -0400

froliol_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> Greetings All, I want to be able to create a dynamic output file name
> based on current date and time. Using spool I cannot seem to pass a
> name for an output file, I can only explicitly state it? Has anyone
> ever passed a variable name to spool as the output file?

> Before you buy.

If you are on a unix platform, try the following -- Step 1 - create your sql script (say spool_file_w_timestamp.sql) like:

    spool <yourfilename>.&1
    <your sql statement>;
    spool off
    exit
Step 2 - run the following command at the shell prompt:

    sqlplus -s <youroraclelogon>/<yourlogonpassword>@<yoursid> @spool_file_w_timestamp `date -u +"%Y%m%d%H%m"`

A spool file named <yourfilename>.<timestamp> will be created. Here <timestamp> will in the format as yyyymmddhhmi.

Hope this helps.

Shana Chen at schen_at_cnri.reston.va.us Received on Tue Oct 03 2000 - 17:09:22 CDT