Re: SQL Server 7/2000 vs Oracle 8i

From: Roy Acres <roy.acres_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 01:24:55 GMT

I agree completely with that statement. My team only calls when they are really down to their knuckles with a problem... but MS Tech Support never seems able to resolve an issue. We normally figure it out ourselves eventually, or find assistance through newsgroups or other forums. We've heard "re-install" way too many times.

Further, Oracle has recently revamped their pricing structures for the internet era... and the pricing is actually more attractive now.

The comment by somebody earlier about figuring WinNT into the pricing scheme when comparing SQLServer to Oracle is correct.... one Unix box can support a number of Oracle databases, whereas MS has coined the term "server farm" (which has now become an actual term, it seems) because a WinNT investment often requires a series of these NT boxes for load balancing, increasing the investment costs. (If I'm in error here, please correct me.)

===> Roy