Re: Problems setting up a second oracle (8.1.5) instance on solaris 2.7

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 08:33:28 +0200

On Thu, 28 Sep 2000 09:56:29 +0200, "Michael Maretzke" <michael.maretzke_at_conrad.com> wrote:

>Hello, Oraclians !
>
>I've got problems setting up a second instance running on the same SUN
>Solaris system.
>I stopped the database, created the needed directories
>( /export/data2/oradata/imed for datafiles and /usr/local/oracle/admin/* for
>configurationfiles, etc).
>I edited the initIMED.ora file looking to have a different database-name for
>the new instance as
>the first one is. I set the parameters in initIMED.ora (almost everywhere
>the defaults).
>After this step I started SQL-Plus as described in the
>HTML-Admin-documentation (sqlplus /nolog).
>I connected as sysdba and started an instance (startup nomount
>pfile="..../initIMED.ora").
>After these steps succeeded I tried to create the database with "CREATE
>DATABASE IMED;".
>The system worked for a while but finally it stopped with a error message
>"The passwordfile
>/usr/local/oracle/product/8.1.5/dbs/orapwORCL is not valid or not correct"
>(this is not the original
>message ...).
>My goal is to have TWO different password-files for every instance one which
>is accessed "EXCLUSIVE"
>(parameter REMOTE_LOGIN_ PASSWORDFILE).
>But where could I set the password files to use in the different instances ?
>In the documentation is so much information which is almost unsearchable ...
>
>Anyone out there who can / want help me ?
>
>Thanx a lot
>Michael.

It looks like you didn't change ORACLE_SID env var to MED prior to starting sqlplus and issuing create database. This is one of the typical errors you will get when you forget that. This means you almost ruined your current instance.

One password file per instance is the default behavior.

The documentation includes a 'Getting Started' manual. Creating a second instance is covered there. Also it looks a fairly obvious place to start, doesn't it.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Sat Sep 30 2000 - 01:33:28 CDT