Re: Where do you get Oracle ?

From: Kelly Cox <kmcox_at_alum.mit.edu>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 03:37:43 GMT

Wow, all that discussion about download speeds probably didn't help you that much, did it? I'm surprised--I tend to think of Oracle people as being a little less, well, base. boorish. childish.

Your other option is to go directly to the main Oracle site, click on "Store" and then click on trials. They will ship you a CD "pack" for one low price of $39.95 to cover shipping and handling. There is usually a different set for the database, "web stuff", and other developer tools. The configurations change from time to time, but for less than the price of most books, it's money well spent. Then you have a decent version to play with and try out some things.

The problem that you will run into is that only Personal Edition (don't mess with Oracle Lite--it's not the same thing) will run on Windows 98, and it is a little different in terms of architecture from the Server Edition. For learning SQL & PL/SQL, these differences will be trivial, but for administration they are significant. I personally prefer to run NT and not 98, but I hear reports from others that the Personal Edition runs fine on 98.

Best of Luck and welcome to the Oracle community. --Kelly Cox

p.s. try the IOUG-A web site at www.ioug.org for additional discussion groups and resources.