Re: cold backup over weekend in archive mode?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 13:35:20 +1000

No problem doing what you propose (having archives gives the you the *option* of doing hot backups, but certainly doesn't make them mandatory).

The only possible problem (which only you can evaluate) is that potentially, in a worst case scenario, you are looking to have to restore a Sunday backup, and apply archives from Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and most of Friday if you had a failure of some sort last thing on Friday afternoon. In other words, you are looking at a comparitively long mean time to recover.

But if that isn't a major concern (it probably would be in a 24x7 shop), then go for it: cold backups are delightfully easy to do, and it certainly helps not having so much backup work to do each weeknight.

Regards
HJR

Opinions expressed are my own, and not those of Oracle Corporation
Oracle DBA Resources:               http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000