Re: NT4.0 + IIS + WebDb

From: frank <fbortel_at_home.nl>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 18:23:35 GMT

OK OK some misunderstandings... comment inline

Alessandro Nazzani wrote:

> <snip>
> 8.1.6.0.0

There is a patch (81612), but that's not the problem

> > Why have an additional listener?
>
> I tried to custom install WebDb excluding the listener (ONLY the
> listener): the result was that wdbcgi.exe and the Images folder (and
> probably some other stuff) were missing. I installed the listener and
> was planning to get WebDb working with it and, after that, switch to
> IIS.
OK - so in the end just have one HTTP listener: IIS

> > Not quite; it's the connect string that's used; WebDB wants a
 listener to
> > be activated. See WebDB installation notes; I think it's on
> > http://<myserver>.<mydomain>:85/webdb/admin_
> >

> > Thta should be:
> > http://<myserver>.<mydomain>:85/webdb/admin_/gateway.htm
>
> Not sure I understand that:
>
> http://<myserver>.<mydomain>:85/webdb/webdb.home is the connection
> string I use on my development machine: I thought it should work on my
> WebServer too, at least as long as WebDb listener is active.

Here's were we go wrong: by listener above I meant the Oracle Network Listener,
not ant HTTP listener (neither WebDB, nor IIS). The error message in the first post indicates WebDB attempts to open a communication channel (using Oracle Net8 over tcp/ip) to the database. This is what goes wrong.
As the error message indicates, it could be: you (oracle) listener is not running (check Control Panel, Serices for Oracle TNS Listener)
your TNS configuration is wrong: might be the connect string (aka alias) as filled in on the WebDB configuration pages. These *pages* are admin_/gateway and admin_/listener

> http://<myserver>.<mydomain>:85/webdb/admin_/gateway.htm works but it
> uses WebDb listener, doesn't it? What connection string should I use to
> connect through wdbcgi listener? The example shown in the config doc
> doesn't work: I get an HTTP Error 404 but I'm not sure about the EXACT
> syntax. May be I'm missing something very basic here

Not sure what *you* mean by listener here above. AFAIK, there is no cgi listener - there's (probably) a virtual directory to be defined in IIS, that
is actually linked to the executable.

hth, Frank Received on Fri Sep 29 2000 - 13:23:35 CDT