Re: Partitioning

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 15:28:03 +0100

You cannot split the existing data into
separate partitions, but you could

create new table as empty partitioned,
with bottom partition defined to hold ALL your current data, then

    alter table new_table
    exchange partition bottom_partition
    with old_table
    including indexes
    without validation
    ;

This gets the data into the partitioned
table without having to copy it.

Depending on Oracle version, you may
need to disable constraints, then re-enable them in a novalidate state.

--

Jonathan Lewis

Andreas Boehm wrote in message <39D34E97.E8859340_at_class.de>...
Hi *,

how do I partition an existing table which has been created without the
partition clause? Do one need
to create a new partitioned table and copy the original into it? This
would be a bit hard-core, if the
original cointains historical data about 30*10^9 rows. I hope there
exists a more practical solution
to partition an existing table.
Thanx in adavance for any help.

regards,