Re: Oracle 8/ ASP / User Authentication

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 12:38:34 +0100

Hi

my asp code for creating a connection looks like <%
adoConn.Open
%>

i.e not relying on a preexisting ODBC connection. Presumably it would be relatively easy to pass uid and pwd as variables based on user input. You could then test for failure to open the connection. The drawback I would see with this is that UID and PWD would be passed as plaintext, since they are just asp variables.

As well as the alternative you have outlined - which is probably what I would do, you could consider os authentication for the database and then require users to logon to the web server with their os user account.

HTH

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA