Re: Migration from oracle 7(.3.4.5) to 8i

From: Ellen V. <ellen_n_paul_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 14:44:12 GMT

I had heard of some possible "logic errors" that occur in stored procs and was hoping someone might have some information or clues on this phenomenon. I can't imagine what the problem would be there, possibly just the (application software) vendor trying to convince us they need to do the conversion for us.
Thank you.

In article <39D09C15.C9251B8D_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>,   Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov> wrote:
> Ellen,
>
> You probably won't get too many "good" responses to your post. That's
> because migrating from one Oracle version to another can introduce
> "side-effects" that may only be seen in your installation. One of the
> things that people do see often is that objects become invalid after a
> migration and need to be recompiled. But I've seen weird things too
 like
> database links becoming invalid and have to be recreated. This is an
> example of one of those side-effects of the migration that few people
> ever see. It also depends on your database application and how it
 works.

> For the best information on migration issues, refer to the Oracle 8i
> Migration Guide and also do some searches on Metalink. To me, there
 are
> two great ways to prepare for your migration. One, read the release
> notes so you have a good understanding of the changes and new features
> introduced with your new Oracle version. Determine how each change
 will
> effect your database and application. Two, if at all possible create a
> test instance of the database. Migrate it to the new version and run
> your application against the test instance. This way you get a chance
> work out any bugs or side-effects before migrating your production
> version. The biggest piece of advice you'll get it to TEST, TEST, and
> TEST your migration until you are comfortable with it.
>
> HTH,
> Brian
>
> "Ellen V." wrote:
> >
> > Yeah. Gee. Thanks.
> >
> > In article <F5xz5.1041$np1.129116_at_newshog.newsread.com>,
> > "Van Messner" <vmessner_at_bestweb.net> wrote:
> > > After the conversion is done check for any invalid objects and
 recompile
> > > them.
> > >
> > > Van
> > >
> > > "Ellen V." <ellen_n_paul_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
 report
 for

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.
>
> --
> Brian Peasland
> Raytheons Systems at
> USGS EROS Data Center
> These opinions are my own and do not
> necessarily reflect the opinions of my
> company!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Sep 26 2000 - 09:44:12 CDT