Re: Help Help Oracle 8i install

From: Davide Bianchi <info_at_soft-land.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 12:01:37 GMT

On Mon, 25 Sep 2000 11:43:56 GMT, george habr <george-h_at_sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Hi all,
>I'm an oracle DBA student .
>I'm trying to install oracle8i personal edition. but I have trouble with it
>during installation it will ask me for
>Globale batabase name: ????
>SID: ???
Oracle can manage differente "databases" on the same server, each database is composed by different files that contains tables, users, indexes etc. etc.

Each database is identified by a "global name" or "instance name", for each database a new deamon is created (so you can stop one database without affecting the others).

The SID or GLOBAL NAME is the name you have to use to connect and use one database or the other.

Usually the SID/GLOBAL NAME is 4 char long. The "default" SID is ORCL (usually).

Of course, you can add/remove databases after the installation, create other SID and so on...

Pay attention: Oracle is BIG, FAT and COMPLICATED, read some documentation before jump down into the pool...

Davide Received on Mon Sep 25 2000 - 07:01:37 CDT