Re: 4G Limit of Data File Size in Windows NT4

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 12:22:17 +0100

"Dino Hsu" <dino1_at_ms1.hinet.net> wrote in message news:8qerjt$fdcl2$1_at_ID-41926.news.cis.dfn.de...
> Dear all,
>
> We have recently encountered 3 times tablespace crashes, for which we have
> to drop and re-create the tablespace. According to the alert log, Oracle
> support people told me this problem is due to a data file extended to more
> than 4G size, which is the limit of file sizes in Windows NT4. However,
 our
> data file may extend to more than 10G in size, so what is the appropriate
> way to define the sizes of tablespaces and data files?
>
> Thanks,
> Dino

Hi.

I see others have advised you to use more and smaller datafiles which seems like good advice. I'd be interested to see any tech support notes that you might have got from Oracle though, as IIRC, under NT4 files can grow to some riduculously huge size well in excess of 4GB. So is the 4gb an OS limit or an Oracle limit?

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA