Re: LRU algorithm - question

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 12:57:34 +0100

to expand a bit

The original poster was right - blocks from a FTS are cached, but are placed at the LRU end of the list. This often *has the effect* of wiping them out of memory before the end of the FTS, but not always. Moreover if alter table <tablename> cache; has been run against the table (Oracle 7/8.0.x) then any FTS of that table will still result in the blocks being placed at the MRU end of the list. In any event Oracle uses (AFAIK) the same aging algorithms regardless of type of read. The only difference is where on the list the read blocks are placed.

In later versions of Oracle (8i?) tables subject to FTS can be placed in their own private buffer pool (lookup buffer pool keep) Here they are still subject to aging but you can of course size the pool large enough that they never get aged out.

HTH

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA