Re: DBA OR APPLICATION DEVELOPER

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 12:35:57 +0100

<nativestuff_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8qe2jh$vaj$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> I am planning to take courses in Oracle. Not sure where to begin with.
> Appears there are two type of certifications, DBA and Application
> Developer. Which one is more preferable? My common sense tells me
> Application Developer is the to start with. Can anyone be a DBA
> without being an Application Developer?
The answer to this is of course yes. Application Developer being someone who produces or updates database driven applications, typically using Tools such as Designer/Forms etc.

DBA being someone who maintains, configures and optimises said databases so the applications perform reliably in a reasonable timescale. <g>

> Also any suggetion where to
> get the traning at reasonable cost? Thanks and appreciate your
> response.

Can't really answer that not knowing your location. education.oracle.com is a good start point though.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA