Re: MS SQL Server DBA asks for some Oracle & UNIX advice

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 07:36:55 +1000

Honestly? I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

I think the Unix side of things is actually going to be harder to deal with than the Oracle, but there are enough posts here from SQL Server people that indicate a certain 'mindset' or approach which doesn't translate neatly over to Oracle, so it's not a simple skills-translation situation. (And I'm sure the converse would apply, too).

However, you may be the kind of person who works long hours, then goes home and studies for another 8, so I can't rule out the possibility that you have the drive and dedication needed for the task.

Me, on the other hand, I know... and I'd be looking for at least an Oracle job in an NT environment.

Regards
HJR

Opinions expressed are my own, and not those of Oracle Corporation
Oracle DBA Resources:               http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000