Re: Newbie sp_ Question

From: Lee J. <ljeznach_at_csi.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 19:13:03 GMT

REF CURSOR doesn't tell me anything and this is the last thing that I would consider as a solution to my problem.
There are some standards on the market today. If Oracle develop new tech then they should at least make some remarks in their publication about
the differences etc. - most of the DBAs have experience with SYBASE and we learn new tech in comparison to that what we have already learned - whether you like it or not. They simple force people to learn everything from the scratch, which will discourage many people from using their software.

Thanks anyway.

P.S. is temporary table feature added to new 8i v. the result of their (Oracle) bright technology?

"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:969715079.8598.1.pluto.d4ee154e_at_news.demon.nl...
> I'm amazed by this.
> It definitely is covered under REF CURSOR.
> Also you could look at http://osi.oracle.com/~tkyte/Resultsets.
>
> IMO, (as response to you more or less condescending remarks about
> documentation), I don't understand why sqlserver types use stored
 procedures
> for even very simple selects. That is definitely unnecessary.
> In short, you should try to learn the *oracle perspective* and put aside
> your sqlserver or sybase habits. Otherwise you will end up with code that
> from the Oracle perspective is very inefficient.
>
> Oracle is not sqlserver nor sybase, it's much better than that.
>
> Regards,
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
>
> "Lee J." <ljeznach_at_csi.com> wrote in message
> > I have an Oracle 8i Reference and PL/SQL Programming books (ORACLE
 Press)