Re: ok, now don't laugh.....

From: <gmei_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/09/20

See my answers below.

In article <39c8e879$0$22125_at_wodc7nh6.news.uu.net>,   "Jim Kotsonas" <jkotsonas_at_lucidityinc.com> wrote:
> Howdy,
> Extreme newbie here. I've got a couple of (probably) simple
 questions
> for you.
>
> I'm gonna be taking some Oracle classes soon, so I'm trying to get a
 bit
> of a head start. I've downloaded Oracle 8i (lite) from the Oracle
 site,
> and I'm stumbling through some on-line tutorials.
>
> Question #1 is: First, is there some kind of shortcut for editing a
> previous
> line of text? I've created a table, and when I update/change it, by
 the time
> get to lines 3 or 4, I find that I need to go back to line 2 to
 insert an
> "'". I can't
> seem to do this without starting all over.

create a new text file using "notepad" or "wordpad" and type in your sql commands there, then either use "copy and paste" or execute the sql file in sqlplus.

>Second, when I created the table,
> (the table is jimsmp3files, and there's 3 rows; Artist, Song title
 and
> Misc.
> I set the "varchar" for Misc at (20) which ended up being too
 short.I'd like
> update it to (30), but can't quite figure out how.

alter table jimsmp3files modify (Misc varchar(30)).

Although I suggest you use "varchar2" type instead.

> And thirdly, how does one
> save one's work, and then access it again. When I went
 to "File>save", it
> only saved the last bit that I was working on, not the complete table.

see my answer to your first question. You can save your work in a text file for later use.

> Thanks in advance for any and all help!
>
> Take care,
>
> Jim

Hope this helps.

Guang

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Sep 20 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT