Re: Does Stopping an Instance Service Equal Shutdown Immediate?

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: 2000/09/20

Stopping the service is equivalent to a shutdown abort unless you have ORA_SHUTDOWN=TRUE in your registry. If you have this set, then stopping the service is equivalent to a shutdown immediate. All NT does when the system goes down is stop the service. The value of this registry entry determines what happens when this service is stopped.

HTH,
Brian

Dino Hsu wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I was told that stopping instance service from control panel services is
> equal to shutdown immdediate, so it is a correct way to shutdown a database.
> This way is better than issuing shutdown immediate in server manager
> (svrmgr30) because the service will still be there if you do so. However, I
> know that the default behavior of Oracle when re-starting or shutting-down
> Windows NT is 'shutdown abort' unless you change the registry ORA_SHUTDOWN
> to 'TRUE'. My question is whether stopping an instance service eauqls
> 'shutdown abort' or 'shutdown immediate'?
>
> Thanks,
> Dino

Brian Peasland
Raytheons Systems at