Does Stopping an Instance Service Equal Shutdown Immediate?

From: Dino Hsu <dino1_at_ms1.hinet.net>
Date: 2000/09/20

Dear all,

I was told that stopping instance service from control panel services is equal to shutdown immdediate, so it is a correct way to shutdown a database. This way is better than issuing shutdown immediate in server manager (svrmgr30) because the service will still be there if you do so. However, I know that the default behavior of Oracle when re-starting or shutting-down Windows NT is 'shutdown abort' unless you change the registry ORA_SHUTDOWN to 'TRUE'. My question is whether stopping an instance service eauqls 'shutdown abort' or 'shutdown immediate'?

Thanks,
Dino Received on Wed Sep 20 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT