Re: OO40 or ADO

From: Walter T Rejuney <BlueSax_at_Unforgetable.com>
Date: 2000/09/20

froliol_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> Greetings All, I am about to write an application that uses Oracle 8i
> on the backend. My only question is whether or not I should used ADO
> or OO4O? I read up on both and it seems OO40 give me more access to
> the database, however, ADO is much more ubiquitous and faster? Please
> send me your comments and/or opinions.
>
> Thanks, Louis
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

They are both good technologies. How fast and efficient they are is often up to the way that you code.

OO4O has some advantages because it has an almost direct tie to OCI which has proprietary hooks into the system. However, it is only compatible with Oracle so if you are writing a VB program, your code won't be portable.

ADO on the other hand can be used to write highly portable code in the sense that if you ever switch to another relational database most of your code will be reusable. With ADO you can either use ODBC (although why anyone would do that I don't know) or you can use the OLE DB drivers. Both Microsoft and Oracle have their own versions of the OLE DB driver and it runs much faster than ODBC.

I've recently found another advantage for using ADO. I recently had to strip a small segment out of one of my VB programs so that I could put it into a VBScript to run from the task scheduler. The changes I had to make were minimal. I don't think I could have done that if I had been using OO4O. Received on Wed Sep 20 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT