Re: Detecting Oracle Server Version in C++ & Java

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 19:58:39 +0200

"Vaughan Jackson" <vaughan_jackson_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8q88a4$1p0$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> Hi,
>
> We have new functionality in our product in which we have relied upon
> Oracle 8.1+'s new function-based index feature to implement. However,
> our product must work with Oracle 8.0.6 as well. So, what we intend
> to do is disable the new functionality when our product is used in
> conjunction with Oracle versions < 8.1.
>
> Can someone tell me how I can detect the particular version of Oracle
> server being used from C++ and Java code?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Vaughan Jackson.
>

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Contrary to the other poster, it would be a better idea to specifically check for the function-based index option (it *is* a separate option) in v$option.
Customer might be running Oracle 8i server, as opposed to 8i Enterprise and function based indexes only exist in the Enterprise Edition.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Tue Sep 19 2000 - 12:58:39 CDT