Re: Why ORACLE 8i is IMPOSSIBLE to install under Linux?

From: Terry Steyaert <steyaert_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 12:13:30 GMT

I have to agree, although I will also say it wasn't all that bad, at least with support. I got 8.0.5, and along with RedHat Linux 5.1, made it work in well under a week. (I then needed two weeks to get it to work with my old code from Interactive Unix and Oracle 6.0.)

When 8.1.5, I was very thankful to have Oracle support. After something like 6 TAR's (Technical Assistance Requests) and one a single "bug" later, things were working just great. It did take some help, but with the HOW-TO files, or my instructions from UseNet, you should be able to easily make it work.

(Late last year, I posted nearly step-by-step instructions for loading Oracle 8.1.5 on RedHat 5.2. Loading RedHat has changed a lot since then, but loading Oracle hasn't.) I haven't tried 8.1.6, since none of the fixes that they seem to have included effects my system, and I have it working.

Yes, the install could have gone easier. It shouldn't be required to have 6 calls for technical assistance, but with the help that's out there, it shouldn't be a major deal, now.

Terry Steyaert
steyaert_at_my-deja.com

In article <Tkmx5.466$86.12926_at_tengri.easynet.fr>,   "Nicolas MONNET" <nico_at_monnet.to> wrote:
> In article <39C5E06A.3AD03625_at_sympatico.ca>, root
 <etienno_at_sympatico.ca>
> wrote:

><SNIP>

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Sep 19 2000 - 07:13:30 CDT