Re: Oracle Update/Insert LONG - strings from ASP

From: <henning333_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 15:49:17 GMT

The way to get around this is to not use a stored procdure. Inline SQL will work if you specify the LONG field as a parameter

    sSQL = "INSERT INTO TABLEA (ID, LONG_DATA) VALUES (1, ?)"     cmd.CommandText = sSQL
    cmd.CommandType = adCmdText

    cmd.Execute , cmd.CreateParameter("p_in", adLongVarChar, adParamInput, Len(s), s)

Good Luck,
Jon Henning
jhenning_at_solpart.com
www.solpart.com/techcorner

In article <39BAB09F.1467897E_at_t-online.de>,   Wilhelm Stiefelhagen <Wilhelm.Stiefelhagen_at_tonline. de> wrote:
> Tom Karlsson wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I get a "ORA-01460: unimplemented or
 unreasonable conversion requested"
> > error when I try to update my db with strings
 larger then 32K in a LONG
> > datatype field.
>
> 32k is the limit of variables in PLSQL.
>

> > I have made a stored procedure that updates
 the field, and a ADODB.Command
> > object to execute the procedure from ASP. I
 have also tried doing the
> > update in SQL, with a ADODB.Recordset, but
 then the sql string becomes to
> > large? It comes up with this error "ORA-
 01704: string literal too long".

> The limit for string literals is even smaller:
> 4000 char
>

> > The server is Oracle 8.x running on NT.
> >
> > Can anyone help me?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Friendly Regards,
> > /TK
>
> You should use one of the DBMS... packages.
> Perhaps you should even use one of the BLOB
 types, which offer some more
> possibilities.
>
> The practical use of longs bigger than 32k is
 very limited in Oracle.

> Willi
>
> wilhelm.stiefelhagen_at_gmx.net

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Sep 19 2000 - 10:49:17 CDT