Re: Why ORACLE 8i is IMPOSSIBLE to install under Linux?

From: Nicolas MONNET <nico_at_monnet.to>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 12:36:16 +0100

In article <39C5E06A.3AD03625_at_sympatico.ca>, root <etienno_at_sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Why is Oracle for linux IMPOSSIBLE TO INSTALL!!!?? Shit I have tried
> since a month whit Oracle 8.1.5 and Oracle 8.1.6 and nothing works!

I agree, it's really a pain in the ass; I had to pay someone ($1k a day!) to do it for me the first time.

One thing to know is that versions prior to 8.1.6 were SERIOUSLY fucked up in the install process, specifically:

On 8.1.6 still there seems to be a few issues with file perms, but it's getting better.

I suggest you look around for HOWTOs, some people have posted them on the web.

Still I have to wonder, how did they manage to make a Java program (the installer) INCOMPATIBLE with some versions of Linux? That blows my mind. Received on Mon Sep 18 2000 - 06:36:16 CDT