Re: iFS?

From: Steve . <syarbrou_at_nospam.enteract.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 20:39:51 -0500

Billy,

I haven't tried iFS, but have researched it quite a bit in the hopes of using it once available. Now it's available and I find out Oracle has gone Java crazy with all their programs and you need to program in Java to change anything from it's default setup.

Anyway, the problem with BFILE's is that the database does not know anything about them, or if they are even there at all. With iFS you can physically store the files in the database. Then you can delete and move things around. You can also back all the files up using whatever method of backup you are currently implementing, since they are inside a database and not external to it. Something that can be quite helpful if you have a drive failure.

Steve