Re: iFS?

From: Billy Collins <billy_collins_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 03:14:45 GMT

Thanks for the response, Steve. It was very helpful indeed. Yes, I am a bit surprised too how Oracle is going gaga over Java -- almost alienating all those upcoming technologies such as PHP and mod_perl. It doesn't make sense to me, and is one HUGE stumbling block, especially given that Oracle has its own APIs etc for doing anything meaningful with iFS!!

I know, I know, I sound like an Oracle myself, just regurgitating what I have been reading about iFS :-)

More questions this time:

  1. Does anyone have any info about when iFS will be released for character sets other than USASCII7?
  2. About BFILE -- supposing I do not mind the problem of backup etc, and the referencing on the disk drives (where files might NOT be present!) -- what are the other disadvantages of using BFILE?
  3. Instead of BFILE, is it recommended to store my files on the file system, and maintain a reference to them in my database, without the need for BFILE!? I just have a column called "ASSOCIATED_FILE_PATH" or something?

Any advice or pointers deeply appreciated!

Thanks,
BC

Billy Collins
Live Thread.com

In article <fcsassoa676hvkir92bvlu9mlh1p9cjvd9_at_4ax.com>,   Steve . <syarbrou_at_nospam.enteract.com> wrote:
> Billy,
>
> I haven't tried iFS, but have researched it quite a bit in the hopes
> of using it once available. Now it's available and I find out Oracle
> has gone Java crazy with all their programs and you need to program in
> Java to change anything from it's default setup.
>
> Anyway, the problem with BFILE's is that the database does not know
> anything about them, or if they are even there at all. With iFS you
> can physically store the files in the database. Then you can delete
> and move things around. You can also back all the files up using
> whatever method of backup you are currently implementing, since they
> are inside a database and not external to it. Something that can be
> quite helpful if you have a drive failure.
>
> Steve
>
> On Sun, 17 Sep 2000 20:17:58 +0800, "Billy Collins"
> <billy_collins_at_mydeja.com> wrote:
>
> >> This should help:
> >> http://www.oracle.com/database/options/ifs/index.html?
 collateral.html