Help please with installation

From: Mart Hurst <Wayfarergenesis_at_Xworldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 00:00:03 GMT

Am currently enrolled in an Oracle class and bought Oracle8i Personal Edition for Windows 98 and am having problems getting it to function. Any help much appreciated.

I read all of the instructions before trying to install, and seemed to have no problems installing; had no warnings or error messages. However when I got to the part about configuring Oracle by starting the Oracle Listener I began to have problems. Oracle Listner started without a problem, the database started, but when I go to the sign on screen where we were to sign on according to their installation instructions as user name: system password: manager Host String: po8
I got error message: "Oracle SQL*Plus Error: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name."

I went to their help and found this:

ORA-12154 TNS:could not resolve service name

Cause The service name specified is not defined correctly in the TNSNAMES.ORA file.
Action Make the following checks and correct the error:

· Verify that a TNSNAMES.ORA file exists and is in the proper place and accessible. See the operating system specific manual for details on the required name and location.
· Check to see that the service name exists in one of the TNSNAMES.ORA files and add it if necessary.
· Make sure there are no syntax errors anywhere in the file. Particularly look for unmatched parentheses or stray characters. Any error in a TNSNAMES.ORA file makes it unusable. See Chapter 4 in the SQL*Net V2 Administrator's Guide. If possible, regenerate the configuration files using the Oracle Network Manager.

Copyright (C) 1998, Oracle Corporation

The installation instructions said to navigate to C:\Ora95dev\Net80\Admin and highlight and copy the "TcpExample.world" section to the bottom of the list and change the copy to:

po8.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =

        (ADDRESS =

(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(Host = localhost)
(Port = 1521)
)

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = ORCL)
    )
  )

which I did before starting the listener. So I don't know what to do from here?

Remove X after @ to reply Received on Fri Sep 15 2000 - 19:00:03 CDT