Re: control file

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 00:22:15 +0200

"Francis Wong" <wongfrancis_at_home.com> wrote in message news:vUww5.66475$i5.2577938_at_news1.rdc2.on.home.com...
> Oracle manual tries to distinguish the difference between the backup of
> control file using
>
> 1) unix cp command
> 2) alter database backup control file to 'xxxxx'
>
> During recovery, you may need to run the command something like this:
> recover database using backup controlfile
>
> What is the difference if I just run the command 'recover database'.

It will automatically assume your controlfile is correct and the *most recent* state of the database, and you are going to perform complete recovery only. This means you will be in trouble if for some reason the scn in your datafiles is higher than the scn in your controlfiles. However, if you add the clause 'using backup controlfile' Oracle won't make any assumption on the state of the controlfile, and you can use recover until cancel or recover until time.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Fri Sep 15 2000 - 17:22:15 CDT