Re: Some OEM Questions

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 12:43:32 GMT

> It was 2 months ago when I studied Getting Started. I remember that a
> repository database is needed to manage many Oracle databases and servers.
> However, this repository database cannot share the server with other managed
> databases; in other words, I need a dedicated server for the repository

This is simply not true. You do not need a seperate database instance for just the OEM repository.

> purpose, it's gonna be too much for me. Is there a way to create a
> repository database on a server where other databases have already existed?

All you need to do is create a user account in any database. Then when you start the Management Console, it will sign on as that account and create the necessary repository tables.

> Furthermore, I am not too sure about how necessary it is to create a
> repository database, nor the connection between a console and a repository
> database.

It is not necessary to use a repository for OEM. You will need a repository for running the Management Console or the OEM Console. But you do not need a repository if you start one of the tools by itself (standalone). For instance, you can start Schema Manager without a repository if you just connect only to the database your want to manage.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
Raytheons Systems at