Re: Doesn't support multiple homes?

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 09:11:26 +0100

"Greg Teets" <gteets_at_rr.cinci.com> wrote in message news:3a11540e.41624312_at_news-server...
> I have that part. This part's the problem
>
> >> i don't have any idea how to configure TNS
> >> listener if that's what is required.

A listener will be required for you database instance. As it is on one machine you should probably just use an IPC connection

> >> contains a registry tweak to force it
> To enforce what?

To fool designer into thinking that the machine doesn't already have Oracle on it. To be honest though what I did on a dev machine was to blow away the oracle 8i installation (having taken an export first) then install Designer 6i first. There are instructions in the 8i documentation on how to create a clean machine which detail the steps you need. After this is done you can reinstall 8i server. In other words the two can coexist, but only if the server software is installed second. I have to say I think this sort of thing is an absolutely terrible mistake for Oracle to make.

HTH

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA