Re: DBA work without console access - possible ?

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 09:04:20 +0100

"Austin Durbin" <adurbin_at_home.com> wrote in message news:_qhw5.137209$3E6.1305905_at_news1.alsv1.occa.home.com...
> I think you were a little quick to jump in and label some things as "just
> untrue" without knowing precisely what access had been yanked.
 Nonetheless,
> you did help the original poster by pointing out some useful techniques.

I read the original post which read

"until now
have had unrestricted access to the server consoles.

Now, the NT sys admin says that "ONLY HE IS ALLOWED CONSOLE ACCESS" !

So without using the server consoles, how do I: etc..
"
Now to me server console access can ONLY mean sitting at the keyboard/screen physically attached to the server. I don't consider that to be an unreasonable assumption.

> However, this all begs the issue which is that a sysadmin and DBA are
> having a pissing contest. This is something that does need to be nipped in
> the bud. As some of the other posters pointed out, a solid working
> relationship between the sysadmins and DBA does wonders.

absolutely. Its the solid working relationship that needs to be addressed the rest is just bs. Received on Fri Sep 15 2000 - 03:04:20 CDT