Re: svrmgrl hangs on "shutdown immediate"

From: Walter T Rejuney <BlueSax_at_Unforgetable.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 15:30:58 -0400

gmei_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> What I found interesting on NT was that:
>
> If I started the instance using "control panel"->"services" GUI tool,
> then use svrmgrl to shutdown instance (like your script does). Now if I
> up.
>
> Is this an oracle bug or there is something I did wrong?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Guang
>
> > Walter T Rejuney <BlueSax_at_Unforgetable.com> schreef in berichtnieuws
> > 39B837E3.7F901E16_at_Unforgetable.com...
> > > I am working on NT Server 4.0 with a Oracle 8i Release 2
 datatabase. If
> > > I try to use svrmgrl to perform a "shutdown immediate", the database
> > > apparently shuts down but the svrmgrl does not return unless I do a
> > > ctrl-c. However, I can use instance manager to take the database up
 and
> > > down without a problem and I can also shut it down using the
 services
> > > control panel. Has anyone ever seen this before? Is there a fix?

What you see is the "service" still up. That is not the same as the instance being up.. If you start the service and then go into svrmgrl and do a shutdown, it will take the instance down, but svrmgrl has no knowledge of the service, so it can't stop the service.

There is a command-line way to take the service down, but I don't have it at my fingertips - perhaps someone else knows the syntax and can post it here. Received on Fri Sep 15 2000 - 14:30:58 CDT