Re: 10,000 queries per second: Can it be done?

From: Nicolas MONNET <nico_at_monnet.to>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 08:23:09 GMT

What could I do but protest when I saw that uqmoore_at_my-deja.com wrote this:

· Hey folks,
·
· We have a fast cgi app that processes about 10,000 web requests a
· second.  Right now, we include all of the data the app needs at runtime
· in the source code so that all the data remains in memory while the app
· runs (we use a binary tree data structure).  We do this instead of
· reading data from a file or accessing a database because we believe this
· is faster.  The problem is, there's a limit to how large our data can be
· before this whole thing stops working effectively.
·
· Could we use an Oracle solution for our problem?  Can Oracle handle
· 10,000 relatively small queries per second?  What type of hardware would
· be needed?  We are also thinking about using dbm files but we'd prefer
· to use a database.
·
· Thanks in advance.

Depending on what you're using this data for, you might want to use MySQL in certain operations.

For instance my site uses Oracle for all the long lived data, but stores cookie info in a MySQL database, which is accessed for almost every hit.

--
"Pirater" consiste à couler des bateaux, tuer et violer;
pas à partager des logiciels et de la musique avec ses amis.