SQL Server Linked-Server problem with Personal Oracle 8i

From: Tony <tony095_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 13:21:56 -0400

I am using Personal Oracle 8i to try to come up with a solution for one of our customers. The customer is using Oracle Manufacturing and our labor management software needs to access a view in the Oracle Manufacturing database from SQL Server 7.0. So, I set up a Linked-Server in SQL Server to the Oracle Database then created a view in SQL Server that does a SELECT on a view in the Oracle database. This view works fine unless I make multiple requests in a short period of time. For example, if I go to the Query Analyzer in SQL Server and run a SELECT all on the view linked to the Oracle data I need and then run the SELECT all again immediately after, then I get either one of the following errors:

OLE DB provider 'MSDAORA' reported an error.
[OLE/DB provider returned message: ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error]

OLE DB provider 'MSDAORA' reported an error.
[OLE/DB provider returned message: ORA-12500: TNS:listener failed to start a
dedicated server process]

So far I have tried installing another listener, and using the ODBC Provider. Neither of these attempts has yielded a solution. Please help.

Thanks,
Tony Received on Thu Sep 14 2000 - 12:21:56 CDT