Re: Recover After Crash

From: Michael Kluev <kluev_at_stalker.gamma.-deIete-.ru>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 01:04:36 +0400

In article
<F4155D9F9AA4D111B9990020AFBA52D5414188_at_class06.ip061.sfi-software.com>, "Mark G" <markag_at_wonderstats.com> wrote:

> So you problem is this:
>
> 1) Users open documents and you flag it as 'open'.
> 2) When users close document, you flag it as 'closed'.
> 3) If system crashes when document is open, you need to reset this flag.

Change 3) to be:
  3) If database or client crashes when document is open, you need to reset this flag.

I'd like to rephrase it, because "resetting flag" is not actually a must:

  3) In case of crash of database, or client workstation, or client program, or network, etc. (in other words in any case when connection between program and database is broken) you need a way to determine that 'open' state for "crashed" document is fake.

This is exactly what my problem is.

> Sounds like you need a DATABASE level STARTUP trigger to do this. Available
> in 8i only.

STARTUP trigger solves only "crash of database" part. It is not enough.

--
Michael Kluev.

PS. Remove "-delete-." part from my address to reply.