Re: DBA work without console access - possible ?

From: Austin Durbin <adurbin_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 05:03:04 GMT

There is some poetic justice in what Sybrand recommends. Sometimes the best solution is to hold one's nose and let the fool sink. However, this really does not help your user community.

Cutting off your access impacts more than defining tables, performing imports, exports, etc. It also takes away your ability to monitor the various Oracle log and trace files, your ability to periodically purge archived log files, invoke the lsncntl program, etc..

This is an issue that I would escalate to the senior IS executive in the company - immediately. One foolish sysadmin on some kinda of powertrip should not be allowed to put the organization's database at risk.