Re: How To Get Developer 6.0 And Oracle DB To Talk To Each Other

From: Spammy Nono <spambust_at_localhost.zz>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 23:53:09 +0200

"Greg Teets" <gteets_at_rr.cinci.com> wrote in message news:39be31f0.21424186_at_news-server...
> I have finally gotten Oracle Developer 6.0 successfully installed on
> my machine. In order to accomplish this, The database is in home
> ORA81 and Developer is in home Orant. The two cannot talk to each
> other now.
>
> When I try to connect from Oracle Forms, I get the following message:
> ORA-12514 TNS could not resolve service name.

Double-check the service name definition in the Orant home (should be in .../net80/admin/tnsnames.ora). I assume Developer 6.0 includes net80 software.

If you haven't already, read the net8 docs about networking in the realm of Oracle . But, for short, a "service name" , or TNS connect string alias, says how to contact the remote db listener. A db listener listens for connections on behalf of services (like instances) and is configured via the listener.ora file.

> Please tell me how to fix this in as much detail as possible. I am
> using Windows NT 4.0 workstation. The installer required Oracle and
> Developer to be in different home.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Thos darn Installers... ;-)

Hope that helps,
/Fad Received on Tue Sep 12 2000 - 16:53:09 CDT