Re: Cannot connect to database?

From: Eric Givler <egivler_at_flash.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 17:41:42 GMT

Modify your sqlnet.ora file to create a trace file, ie: TRACE_LEVEL_CLIENT=42
TRACE_DIRECTORY_CLIENT=D:\orant\network\trace names.directory_path = (TNSNAMES)
names.default_domain = world
name.default_zone = world
names.default_domain=world

Then, examine what's really going on when it attempts the connection.

Now, I'm guessing:

Look for something like this:

nttbnd2addr: entry
nttbnd2addr: port resolved to 1035
nttbnd2addr: looking up IP addr for host: nrprrs03.pader.gov
nttbnd2addr:  *** hostname lookup failure! ***
nttbnd2addr: exit

This would mean that your server does not have an entry in the DNS. You can verify this by using NSLOOKUP in DOS. Try to Ping the machine and also do a TNSPING on the machine (maybe TNSPING80). You can also trap/trace the TNSPING command (in Net8 - not sure about SQLNET V2).

IF this is the case, modify your listener.ora file on your server and hard code the IP. Should you use DHCP on an Oracle Server? I don't know.

Another thing to think about is the port#. If the port# is wrong, sql*plus won't connect. You should verify this too. Good luck, and I hope some of this is helpful.