Re: erasing archive log ???

From: Mark D Powell <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 15:24:10 GMT

In article <39BE3CC3.DEBBADEB_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>,   Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov> wrote:
> Serge,
>
> Why do you want to erase the archive log? And are you running in
> ARCHIVEMODE? If you are not running in ARCHIVEMODE, then the redo logs
> will just get written over each other. You don't have to worry about
> them. If you are running in ARCHIVEMODE, then the redo logs get copied
> to your LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST. So your disk system doesn't fill up, you
 will
> periodically want to remove the archived logs. You need to keep all
 the
> archived logs since your last backup at the very least. To remove the
> archived logs, just use your OS delete command(s).
>
> HTH,
> Brian
>
> Serge Nantel wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I want to erase archive log do I have to do some thing special
 before?
> > or I can erase the archive log whiteout problem.
> >
> > Thank you kindly
> > snantel_at_sympatico.ca

Actually you should probably backup your archive log files to tape before you remove them, as you should be able to go back at least two backups to be safe. It may be necessary to perform the recover using the prior backup due to a tape IO error or some other problem and you will need all the logs from this backup.

Some of the literature on backups recommends keeping at least six to eight weeks worth of logs because an old backup and the logs can be used to create a recovery database for the purpose of salvaging a table that has had its data damaged by erroreous DML operations.

You can delete the files with the normal OS file deletion command whenever they are no longer needed for backup and recovery use.

--
Mark D. Powell  -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
 you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.