Re: Slow SQLLDR performance

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 23:25:29 +0200

Comments embedded.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

"Jim" <jim_at_doransj.freeserve.co.yk> wrote in message news:8pgqug$5c8$1_at_newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Hello,
>
> I'm new to Oracle.
>
> I installed Oracle 8i on Win 98, have 256 MB RAM, installed the started
> database with the Universal Installer, and accepted all the default values
> during the install.
>
> No database tuning has been done. There are many ways to tune, but I
> wouldn't know where to start as a beginner.

Try reading the Oracle Concepts Manual and the Oracle Performance Tuning Manual. It's all explained there.

> When I use SQLLDR in SQLPlus* to load 11,000 records in CSV format into a
> table, the performance is slow (doing the same with MS Access 2000 is
> quicker, but I'm trying to get away from using Access as a database).
>
> The data is all text, 17 fields defined as CHAR(25), and 1 field as
> VARCHAR2(2000). Any ideas?

Increase the buffer pool by increasing db_block_buffers to at least 2000. This parameter is located in the init.ora file. In a default install you can find this file in c:
oracle\admin\orcl\pfile\init.ora.
You need to restart the database to have the change become activated. Also you need to increase the online redolog files. You can this by creating new logfile groups and drop the old ones. Use the command
alter database add logfile group <n> ('<filename1>',...'<filename_n>') size <at least 5M, the default is 200k>
and
alter database drop logfile group (the current one, to be found in v$log).

Also use the cache of sqlloader to insert multiple records in one go by using the commit=<number of records buffered>