Re: Oracle 7.3.4, orainst for automated installation, documentation?

From: Spammy Nono <spambust_at_localhost.zz>
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 15:02:17 +0200

<tauryne_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8p839q$erg$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> Hi,
>
> I am at my wits end. I am trying to find out why some files I have been
 given
> that should auto install Oracle client software with all the required
 options
> doesn't work (on Windows platforms). The GUI comes up, things seem to
 happen,
> but it all closes within a few seconds. The result is that some
 directories
> are created, some files are copied, but far from what I am expecting. The
 log
> file contains one word - success. I am not an Oracle person, I am a
> programmer with the task of producing a fool-proof installation for our
app.

Which version of Oracle Installer? There are some pretty bugs in the pre-2k version(s)...

> The main problem, which is driving me mad, is that I can't find any
> documentation for doing this at all. Not at Oracle's site. Not on the
 Oracle
> CD. Not in any of the books we have.

Have you tried MetaLink (the support website)?

> The code is inheritted from a previous project of a partner organisation,
 and
> I am told that it definitely worked flawlessly for hundreds of customers,
 and
> that it should slot straight in. But I am completely stumped on how to
 work
> out what could possibly be wrong as it produces no feedback at all.
>
> Can anyone point me at a resource that covers this? Please save my
 sanity...

Except for bits and pieces found on MetaLink, I'm also still looking for good doc on creating and maintaining install packages using orainst and/or the Universal Installer.

Regards,
/Fad