Simple SQL statement

From: cycloid1 <cycloid1_at_alltel.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 21:28:26 -0400

Hi all,

I am in the beginning phases of learning the SQL language. I'm taking the intro to Oracle class and I've run into a snag. I'm trying to write a simple statement that will convert a null that exists in a column with a numeric datatype to a character string. In other words, if it encounters a null (numeric column) I need it to spit out "No Commission". Does the DECODE function allow you to convert from on datatype to another? I can't get TO_CHAR to work either. I'm sure it's a syntax thing. Thanks in advance for any help! Received on Sat Sep 09 2000 - 20:28:26 CDT