Re: OPEN_CURSORS

From: Atta ur-Rehman <atta707_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 04:47:59 GMT

no. just increasing the number in your init file does not impact the performance anyway. it just let a session have the max specified open cursors simultaneously. now when a session is allowd certain number of open cursors and it actually does open that many cursors that's what's gonna take system resources and affect the server. before you increase this number to an arbitrary new number you perhaps would want to check your application/PL-SQL code for any explicit cursors being left opened when they should have been closed.

hope that helps.

ATTA In article <8p8hp8$q8f$1_at_laurel.tc.umn.edu>,   "Ricq Pattay" <patta003_at_tc.umn.edu> wrote:
> Is there a negative performance impact from increasing the number of
 open
> cursors?
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Ricq Pattay <patta003_at_tc.umn.edu>
> Univ of Minnesota - Twin Cities
> College of Veterinary Medicine
>
> Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message
> > Remarks embedded
> >
> > Hth,
> >
> > Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
> >
> > "kishen" <kishenp_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi All,
> > > Currently we have the OPEN_CURSORS set as default 50.
> > > In some particular cases when certain SQL's are executed, 28-30
 cursors
> > > get openend. Due to which i get the maximum OPEN_CURSORS limit
 exceeded.
> > > Is there a way to find out how many cursors get opened for a
 specific
> > > SQL ?
> >
> > By design 1 per sql statement.
> >
> > Will increasing the number OPEN_CURSORS solve my problem ?
> >
> > Of course. 50 is way too low. Two hunderd is more like it and I
 usually
 set

--

getting the meanin' of data...