Re: Exporting ms-access 2000 tables with Yes/No fields to Oracle 8.1.6

From: dbaz <dbaz_at_email.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 03:30:09 GMT

Another solution, which will work with Office2k, 97 and 95 would be to export using a query
which contains a calculated field to "convert" the true/false (boolean) value to something Oracle
won't choke on.

For example:

We have a table:         [Table1]
Containing fields:             [fldKEY] a text field
                                       [fldBOOL] the boolean (y/n) field in
question

The following statement:

        SELECT [Table1].[fldKEY], IIf([Table1].[fldBOOL],"Y","N") AS fldBoolX FROM Table1;

Will convert the resulting boolean to a "Y" or "N".

The POWER of IIF ???

This is NOT a "problem" with Access, it simply a non-standard data type (like Access Date fields)
that Oracle cannot convert. No big deal.

I couldn't possibly conceive why Microsoft would expect other databases to understand it's
quirky boolean data type.

They ARE rather handy though, just like the date/time data type...

Hope this helps.

dbaz

"Huw G" <hgallon_at_openlinksw.co.uk> wrote in message news:39abe525$1_1_at_nnrp1.news.uk.psi.net...

> upton wrote in message ...
> >

> >If you use the SQL Loader in Oracle 8 you can write a comparison and
> >assignment modifier to the target table to fit the Oracle table you're
> >populating. (I.E. check for the yes/no type and change it to VARCHAR2(3)
 or