Re: bitwise manipulations.

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 20:23:02 +0800

Gautam G. wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a small problem and I was wondering if anybody could help me
> out. I have the following tables, A,B,C (say). Tables A and B have a
> particular column which is a bitvector, which corresponds to rows in
> Table C. Thus if the column value were 01001000(binary), then it would
> mean that the rows number 2 and 5 are being linked or referenced to. Of
> course the table C is going to be such that its size will not exceed
> the maximum number of bits of the datatype used.
> Earlier this processing was being done at code level so there was no
> problem. But now I have to provide some solution at the database level.
> I believe there are no bitwise operators in Oracle. So is there any
> other efficient way that I can do this. I dont know anything about
> PL/SQL, so I wanted to know if some PL/SQL code could serve the
> purpose?
> Any hints or pointers towards a solution would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Gautam.
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

This may help...

http://www.oracledba.co.uk/tips/bitwise_ops.htm

although your design suggests some sort of implicit order in the rows in the table - something which is not guaranteed in a relation database.

HTH

Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk

We are born naked, wet and hungry...then things get worse