Re: Password insanity - newbie

From: Van Messner <vmessner_at_bestweb.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 13:39:01 GMT

You have two products confused - because Oracle gives them similar names. Oracle Enterprise Edition is the Oracle software needed to create and run databases.
Oracle Enterprise Manager is a GUI tool to help you manage your databases.

You want to start by installing Oracle itself, then creating a small database. At some point after that you can worry about OEM. Installing Oracle and creating a database are two separate events. However, when you install Oracle you will be offered an opportunity for Oracle to create a small database for you. I suggest you do that.

Then go to the Oracle site, find the technical site, register yourself (for free) as an Oracle developer. With your new registration go to Oracle's documentation. Download and/or read the Concepts Manual. Then you will know what a host string is and how the various Oracle pieces work with one another.

Van

"Art Heyman" <us004258_at_mindspring.com> wrote in message news:8osjq8$ekk$1_at_slb2.atl.mindspring.net...
> Password insanity :
>
> A newbie , just installed working demos (so many books and disks for
 $15 -
> thought I was lucky ) of Oracle 8 on my NT box - NOTHING lets me in (I've
> been programming and running my own consulting firm for 12 years -I think
> know how to work with software ) I set up what I thought was a database -
> form the Enterprise Manager login I see its called a a Manegemet
 Server -