Re: Is Oracle deliberately difficult?

From: Calvin Crumrine <Calvin_Crumrine_at_dced.state.ak.us>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 08:38:02 -0800

Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Aug 2000 08:41:23 GMT,
> s.nospam.marelli_at_somewhere.not.intrasoft.lu (Serge *Anonymous Coward*
> Marelli) wrote:
>

> >Da Big Book quoteth on Tue, 29 Aug 2000 20:53:58 +0200, famous Monk
> >Bent Mathiesen <bm_at_tli.de> preached:
> >
> >[snip]
> >
> >> I've used Oracle for a number of years, on different platforms,
> >> withdifferent application. In a way I find Oracle simpel yet
> >> complex. When I started to use Oracle, I had the usual
> >> questions - but after a while all the ordinary stuff in the
> >> engine became routine as well as the network communication,
> >> the packages the logical database and 24x7 uptime.
> >>
> >> However, I think Oracle have beome to "errophrone" during
> >> the lastest years - and therefore harder to administrate.
> >> Like, what help is an enterprise manager, when it cannot
> >> report correctly, if your database is in archive mode or not.
> >> And that is only *one* example - I have plenty of these.
> >
> >I've only recently (since february) gotten into the actual hard-DBA
> >part of Oracle (before I was probably one of the 'dolts' mentionned in
> >another post) and I have a few comments to this thread.
> >My background is that of a pure developer. I have not found the
> >oracle concepts to be that outlandish, but then I didn't have too many
> >previous paradigms to shift :)
> >However I have been largely disappointed by the quality (or lack
> >thereof) of the Oracle GIU Admin tools (i.e. enterprise manager
> >tools). I use Oracle 8 on NT and Oracle 7 on Unix.
> >I manage to crash the storage manager and the instance manager on NT
> >on a quasi-regular basis (i.e. almost every second time I use them)
> >with some GPF or other and I find this hard to accept for the kind of
> >product it is (supposed to be).
> >I don't have the level of proficiency necessary yet to do without
> >these tools and go for hard SQL and other CLI tools, but it feels like
> >_these_ are safe and sure and our local DBA uses only these. Plus
> >they are the same on Unix and NT.
> >
> >my 3 LUF (not EUR yet)
> >
> >Serge
> >

> Sure they are safe and the same on Unix and NT.
> Also, you can do 80 percent by using scripts anyway, so you would need
> to type commands for the remaining 20 percent. Sometimes, being in
> this business from 1986, younger people are unnecessarily spoiled with
> gimmicks that don't necessarily are better than doing it the hard way.
> People using a GUI for more than one year still wouldn't have not
> learned what it is all about.
>
> Regards,
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

Depending on what you mean by 'this business' I've been in it (programming) since 1986 also. I know perfectly well what you mean about people using a GUI not learning the 'basics' but after spending 14 years learning the basics of programming I'm really not interested in spending the next 14 years learning the basics of Oracle. It appears to be enough different from standard programming that it really requires a separate field, which makes it unusable for small organizations where the support/development people need to double up. Received on Fri Sep 01 2000 - 11:38:02 CDT