Re: Problem with AIX permissions creating a datafile

From: Alex Hudghton <alex_at_alenda.NOSPAM!.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 09:38:27 GMT

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000 18:07:14 GMT, sperepeps_at_hotmail.com wrote:

>Hi All,
>I'm a beginner so please forgive me for this stupid question.
>Running this file.sql with the following contents:
>CREATE TABLESPACE test
> DATAFILE '/data/test_file' SIZE 30M
> DEFAULT STORAGE (
> INITIAL 100K
> NEXT 100K
> MINEXTENTS 2
> MAXEXTENTS 249)
> offline;
>
>I get the following error:
>ORA-01119: error in creating database file '/data/test_file'
>ORA-07352: sfccf: create error, unable to create file.
>IBM AIX RISC System/6000 Error: 13: Permission denied

You do not have the correct access rights to the /data directory

Assuming you are logged in as oracle then ideally /data should be owned by oracle. That is if you do ls -al / you will see an entry for data like this

drwxr-xr-x 6 oracle dba 512 Aug 29 14:18 data

Here you can see that oracle can read, write and execute within the directory (rwx), group dba can read and execute (r-x) and anyone else can read and execute (r-x).

You need to have write (w) permission to create a file

Alex